American Patrol

"The American Patrol" was performed by the late Glen Miller. Glen Miller was committed to the USO during World War II and died at the peak of his career when his plane went down over Europe to perform for our brave men and women serving over there. If you feel compelled, please visit www.uso.org and support America's best and bravest.

Friday, November 05, 2004

Columbus Smoking Ban

Lets start with the premise that smoking is legal.

I own my own house. My friends come over as they choose. They can smoke.

I own my own bar. My costumers come over as they choose. They can't smoke.

Lets discuss the differences, because quite honestly, I don't see any.


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get the impression that some restaurant and bar owners may have actually want to prevent people from smoking inside their establishments. However, until the law/ban was passed, they had no legal recourse to do anything like that without establishing themselves as a private club.
Your house doesn't really provide any services and I can't sue you to let me smoke in your house because it's not considered a public establishment. Bars and restaurants, as long as they are not private clubs, have to abide by whatever public laws are on the books, so if there isn't a law preventing smoking, people are legally allowed to smoke inside and can sue if they are denied the choice.
That's just my take on it. I suppose I'm going to have to read more about it though.

4:44 PM  
Blogger American Patrol said...

I agree laws are laws, and bars are subject to laws where my home isnt. However, Im disagreeing with the law.

As far as being sued, I wouldnt put it past someone suing me for second hand smoke in my house while they were over. If they can sue me for falling down in my house, why cant they sue me for catching cancer in my house?

7:43 PM  
Blogger American Patrol said...

Very good point. 90% of the voting public never steps into a 21 and over bar.

The thing in Columbus took us all by suprise. You should stay on top of in in Chicago to make sure that when it goes on the ballot, its not an out-right ban.

Most likely its going to go back on the ballot in the spring. Unrest will grow when bar sales start to drop, and complications that follow from bar crowds spilling out into parking lots to smoke.

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home